View Single Post
Old 10-01-08, 12:14 AM
sunburst

Bikes: Giant, Peugeots, Motobecanes, Kona, Specialized, Bike Friday, Ironhorse, Royal Scot, Schwinns

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked 96 Times in 51 Posts
I had the forte campus pedals on my utility bike for years. They kinda drove me crazy. The cleat clips were a little off on one pedal, so I would setup my shoes for one set of spd's and then one foot would be pointing off-center when I clicked into the campus pedals. Plus, I felt they were hard to disengage with certain shoes. It was like the ridges of the shoes would get hung-up on the platform surrounding the spd clip. I mentioned this to a bike shop guy once, and he knew exactly what I was talking about.

Funny thing though, the platform side of the pedal had the best grip on the bottom of my mt. bike shoes of any quill pedal I have ever used. It was really solid, so that was a plus. To me, the main benefit was flipping the pedal over to the platform side when in heavy stop-and-go traffic, or when cycling through crowds.

My son tried them on his bike, and he didn't like that they would invariably flip to the wrong side, which I had noticed also. So you don't get the benefit of a double-sided, just-stick-your-foot-in-it, type of operation. At least not guaranteed.

Finally sold them for $20 and was happy to get it.

Last edited by sunburst; 10-01-08 at 12:19 AM.