View Single Post
Old 10-04-08, 08:58 AM
bhkyte

Bikes: 2X dualdrive Mezzo folder,plus others

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Thanks for the detail on the 8 speed Brompton hud mod. I am not trying to claim I know alot about this mod, but I did reject it due to ussual Bromptom complications, expense, and the difficulties of this set up to alter back quickly.

For the sake or accuracy I did not intend to imply that a two speed a brompton 2spd stock dérailleur would not fit this modifation. I was refering to a front mech, not a rear mech. I was just drawing attention to one of the many complicated and compairatively expensive gearing upgrades that Brompton owners end up considering, including myself.

I like the look of some of the quick release bars with forward reach that you included.

I feel I have found a reasonable comprimise with the mezzo.I fitted cut down upside down drop handlebars,and altered the stem folding angle. I find that this allows the gear levers to penetrate between the front spokes and the extra handlebars do not stick out much more than standard handlebars would .The package is bulkier but not actually any wider at the widest point than my Bropmton.This between the spoke fold is not possible due to the different folding relationship on my Brompton. Which is one of the main reasons I looked at buying a Mezzo to upgrade in this manner. I add a photo sometime.

I have an altered Downtube with a simular handlebar setup, The fold angle requires that the stem quick release needs to loosened and the bars inverted to achive the shimano 105 levers fitting between the spokes. I dont need to do this extra action to fold my mezzo in this way.

I may put a simular quick release on my mezzo to maximise the compactness of a slow car type fold. It possibly will not make much difference as I have a achived a fairly good comprimise of riding postion to folding compactness on the mezzo with out adding any extra folding steps like my Downtube now requires.

Could I have any information for the forward reaching bars you shown, or any other ideas on fitting drop bars or low profile style bars on folders and keeping it compact. Maybe I can refine the idea further!!!!!