View Single Post
Old 10-04-08, 01:29 PM
stapfam
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Going back to when I was into MTB's in a big way- First thing I used to look at on Rigid bikes was the Head tube angle. Less than 70 and the bike would be stable but slow to react. Above 71.5 and it would be twitchy. I always used to buy bikes that I liked after test rides- but from experience- I knew that those with 71.5 deg head angle were going to handle right for me. Only tried a couple with 72 deg and They were twitchy- in fact almost unridable on tricky descents.

Problem came about when I started fitting Suspension forks and The Kona Changed its handling drastically with a pogo stick on the front. Fine uphill and OK on the flats but first lumpy descent and I nearly lost it. Reckon the forks compressed as I landed and gave me a head tube angle well above the 71.5 I liked. The Bianchi I got with Suspension and That wasn't too bad. but it only really worked when I fitted a pair of 80mm travel forks with the hardest Elastomers fitted in it. At least I could steer the damn thing downhill ( Or at least get it going roughly where I wanted it to go) without too many trips to A & E.

Spike Milligan