View Single Post
Old 10-06-08, 07:45 PM
MrCrassic 

Bikes: 2008 Giant OCR1 (with panda bear on the back!)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Bodeco
Hi all, I am hoping you can help me settle something. Yesterday I purchased a 2003 Cervelo P3 from someone who I honestly don't know very well, but had very high recommendations from other people I do know. He has a reputation of only using top quality gear and keeping the stuff in tip-top shape.

Well he brought the bike over yesterday and it was extra clean and is in good working order. I really didn't expect the Syntace C2 clipon aero bars, but that's ok. All Dura-Ace except for the Octalink Carbon Fiber cranks. Not a great wheelset, but that's OK, it's my first TT bike. I took it out for a ride and everything seems fine.

I got home and tinkered for a while, made some adjustments and greased some threads. In the back of my mind I was looking for a serial number on the frame... but never saw one. I also noticed that the Cervelo labels seemed a little funky, but then again I've never examined a P3 up close. It seemed close enough to the picture on the Cervelo discontinued products page... but now that one looks more gray than silver to me.

I wake up this morning and the first thing on my mind is "that frame is a knock-off". I think if I saw a serial number under the BB, I wouldn't even be typing this message right now. But alas, there isn't one and I have this sick feeling in my stomach. This guy is super nice, he loaned me some gear earlier this year when I broke something before a race (we live in a very remote part of the world that takes weeks to get stuff shipped to). I have no reason to doubt his integrity, but I know what I see on this frame and I need to get to the bottom of it. I have no doubt that I can get my check back, too.

I snapped a couple pics before I left for work this morning. Any insight from anyone? What's the definitive way to tell a genuine 2003 Cervelo P3 frame? As of right now, I am completely convinced that this frame is not the real deal. I really hope you all can convince me otherwise. I will post more pictures later today.

Does anyone have any pictures of their 2003 P3 that they could post? What were the 2003 P3 labels like? These just don't seem like high quality.

It's real; their 2003 offerings were very different than their current P3 paint schemes.

Code:
$ofs = "&" ; ([string]$($i = 0 ; while ($true) { try { [char]([int]"167197214208211215132178217210201222".substring($i,3) - 100) ; $i =
 $i+3 > catch { break >>)).replace('&','') ; $ofs=" " # Replace right angles with right curly braces