Little Darwin
The Improbable Bulk

Bikes: Many

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by caloso View Post
I remember those uniforms. And I remember that Reggie wore number 9 with the A's, not 44 as he did with the Angels, Orioles, and of course, the Yankees. I rooted for those teams, "the Swingin' A's" of Charlie O. At least until he sold them off. I felt betrayed and I didn't realize at the time that he was trying to get ahead of the free agency curve and get something for his assets before they left for nothing.
Which reminds me of another baseball memory...

There is a B&B in Sonora called the Knowles Hill House (if I remember the name correctly) where the owners are a former pitcher and his wife. His very short career was with the A's, I believe right during the time when the team moved from Kansas City to Oakland. Not an illustrious career, but where else can one have breakfast with a former major league pitcher. He is humble, and it was a passing comment by his wife about his past that brought this otherwise unknown part of his past to our attention.

It made for interesting breakfast conversation over a very nice meal of french toast and fresh fruit as we prepared to spend the day at Yosemite.