ehidle
T-Shirt Guy

Bikes: 2005 Fuji Team Issue, 2007 Fuji SL-1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by msincredible View Post
You could reduce the costs by doing some of the work yourself...personally, I'd have the contractor re-route the plumbing, and do all the finish work (tile, sink and toilet, drywall, molding and painting) myself.
Even plumbing is very easy. Once you learn how to solder pipe, you can do this yourself in no time. Check your local Home Depot - they have free classes on this stuff all the time. You can learn how to do it all yourself and save a boatload of cash in the process.

Originally Posted by efrobert View Post
Anyone below $5000 is clueless and probably very inexperienced.
Listen to this guy. He is absolutely correct. If it sounds too good to be true, it is. Labor is not cheap.

Originally Posted by BengeBoy View Post
Based on my experience, it will cost 2x whatever you were just quoted and take 6 weeks longer than promised.
Especially if they low-ball the quote at first.

Here's what I was able to do for $3K:

New Drywall all around
New deep tub and shower with one-piece surround, new fixtures, new supply and drain plumbing
New backer and ceramic tile (a conglomeration of 12" and 6" tiles in a red clay/beige scheme) with floor heater
New shower light with all the necessary wiring
New cabinet, sink, tile backsplash extension, medicine cabinet with lighthing/wiring
New commode, towel rack, TP dispenser, candle shelf, curtain rod, and other amenities
New extra-quiet exhaust fan
New electrical fixtures (digital light dimmer, fan switch, floor thermostat)
Paint, spackle (lots of spackle - this was my first attempt at drywall haha), and other tie-up things

If you consider yourself a handy person, there's no reason you won't be able to do it all yourself.

Get your Cranky T-Shirt!
Men's
and Women's designs available