View Single Post
Old 10-13-08, 12:42 PM
j mendivil

Bikes: Varies

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yes, the tech might have been thinking of the labor cost, and possible need to replace all the nipples or something. He may have saw a dent or something that you did not. It might have looked unfixable to HIM. I have had bike shop reps ask me why I would want to build a wheel citing their low replacement cost. Sometimes, perhaps. Generally, nothing beats a handmade wheel.

Frequently, I am surprised at what I can fix, but have also made myself a little crazy trying to fix something that was really too much.

I get wheels with problems almost everyday and have to ask each time: Where did the spoke break? Which side? Alloy nipples? Their condition? Quality of spokes? Condition of spokes? Quality of rim (yours is good)? Dents? Condition of bearings? Condition of axle? How bent is the rim? Spokes pulling out? Excessive brake wear? Overall spoke tension? Cost and availability of a replacement vs labor and parts? Customer's budget? And so on... Wheels seem to be almost living things sometimes.

Who knows what the tech was thinking, if anything.

Generally speaking, I like your rims, IF ALL WAS GOOD, I would really try to save your wheels based on what you have said.