View Single Post
Old 10-16-08, 08:35 PM
solveg
Squirrel

Bikes: Borthwick Touring bike, 83 Schwinn Peloton, 94 Scott Cheyenne, ?? Bianchi Torino

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Bill Kapaun
Becky W. is another.
She did that long ride (30+ miles?) with Solveg and then seemed to lose interest?
Maybe it was doing a bit too much and then a "how do I top that" feeling?
There is a feeling in the forum that you always have to top your previous best.
That can be kind of a downer if that was maybe a bit too much. It kind removes the "fun factor".
I know that's happened to me, and my longest ride is quite short compared to the majority of the posters. I've found myself not wanting to even ride for several days because anything less almost feels like a failure.
I know...that's exactly what happened. I think it was more one of those things where, when you go on a really grueling ride you kind of have a hard time getting in the saddle again?

I've done email with her, and she is still riding for enjoyment, and laying off the whole goal thing. And she's playing the cello!

That's why, when I used to post here more, I was kind of fiesty about trying to make sure that there was room for people to NOT push themselves too much. Sometimes (and I'm not talking about YOU GUYS, who seem to knock goals down and thrive on that kind of quantifiable achievement) people can make unrealistic goals as a way to motivate themselves, but then quit out of frustration/shame/feeling of failure. For some people, it is better to set very reasonable goals, and then surprise yourself with your achievement. Especially if they have a history of being discouraged by not following through with fitness plans.

Think of being a teenager, when you ride without a speedometer, and you just go adventuring. And you lose weight, so that makes you like it even more, and you ride more. And that makes you lose weight... and so on. You can see where that would be a very viable way of achieving fitness for many people.

But for you goal setters: RIDE ON!

Last edited by solveg; 10-16-08 at 08:42 PM.