Old 10-19-08, 07:13 AM
Oldpeddaller

Bikes: 1970 Holdsworth Mistral, Vitus 979, Colnago Primavera, Corratec Hydracarbon, Massi MegaTeam, 1935 Claud Butler Super Velo, Carrera Virtuoso, Viner, 1953 Claud Butler Silver Jubilee, 1954 Holdsworth Typhoon, 1966 Claud Butler Olympic Road, 1982 Claud

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by bikingbritinmex
Hi Oldpeddaller

I have tried to thank you for your help on 3 occasions now, the web-site keeps referring me to sign in page and then I lose the text!!!
I will try again later tonight, in the meantime you wouldn't happen to know the headset size?

Many thanks

David
Hi David, you're very welcome, that's what the Forum's for. The headset is a 1 inch size, (NOT 1 1/8"!), for a threaded steerer fork.

PM me if you need any help in UK with this, I live in Kent. The original headset was, I believe a TDC unit (the name of the manufacturer) with chrome finished cups and loose bearings. If the cups and races are not badly worn, it's often possible just to replace the ball bearings and re-grease, although it's still possible to buy similar units. I wouldn't put a black one on though, stick to chrome for that vintage look!

Any problems finding what you need, I'm pretty sure I've got some of these headset cups buried somewhere in my workshop that I took out of some old frames I converted to A-headset years ago. Will take an age to find them, but I need to have a tidy up anyway. If you need a complete new headset, it's best to take at least the fork in to the bike shop, to make sure the thread on the top bearings and locknut fits. Removing and refitting cups to the frame is not actually difficult but you do need to make some tools, or buy them if you are rich! You can find info on the Bike Mechanics part of this Forum, or Sheldon Brown's website. A slotted pipe, hammer, threaded rod, nuts and a selection of washers are needed to make the tools.

Best of luck!