txvintage
Tilting with windmills

Bikes: Many

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by acorn_user
Well, is there a real Specialized? Or a real Claud Butler (the last of the big Brit brands to go offshore). Or a real Bianchi? Dawes no longer manufactures in the UK (my family has some of the last ones), just as Raleigh does not. It's just business reality unfortunately. But you can follow the right of succession very clearly. Afaik, they are still based in Birmingham, which is where they started. I forget which sports group owns them. It may be Derby. The most famous product is still the Galaxy touring bike, which remains the standard tourer in the UK.

I'm not sure what year the last Dawes were built in England. The latest versions, like so many other bikes, are built in Taiwan and imported.

I have a Dawes Super Galaxy, hand built in England. Reynolds 531 and pleasure to ride for as long as you can turn a pedal. It has been mistaken for a BD bike by unknowing folks who only know the brand from BD. Same thing happens with my Motobecane, only it was built in France..........

The original Dawes are excellent bikes, the road racers were mostly club racers but well built.