Old 10-21-08, 01:01 PM
brendon_ak

Bikes: Klein Palmino, Litespeed Sienna

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Older Schwinn LeTour, making a rain/train bike, Shifting Questions?

I'm fixing up an older Schwinn LeTour (got if for free)and right now I'm thinking about shifter options. I am building the bike for rain/train as it is quite a bit heavier than my Litespeed so I'm hoping to build some additional leg strength form hauling the steel 27inch wheel'd behemoth around.

Right now I have the stock shifters mounted on the stem with the stock deraileurs in place. I am lacking a crank and freewheel so nothing is set at the moment, I was wondering about using friction bar end shifters so I can still utilize the stock derailuers and that gives me freedom as to which freewheel and crank I can use. Which bar end shifter would work best? I see quite a few of the Suntour bar end shifters up, but I want to make this machine slick, even though it is older. That said bang for the buck is def. the goal as the bike was free.

Also I've got a set of fresh 27 inch wheels, rear is set up for a freewheel, I'm at a loss for knowledge with regards to what freewheel gear set to get because I've read about a number of differences between freewheel sets and cranks. Anyone help me out? I think the threading is the common British thread

Thanks guys, I'll post some pics soon, it looks great!