View Single Post
Old 10-21-08, 10:02 PM
Nappy
Your friendly Fred

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Here's a few pictures of the bike I took earlier. Sort of bad angles since I was running out of sunlight.

Originally Posted by Tunnelrat81
Assuming your limbs are of "average" dimensions, a 54 should be able to fit you just fine. I stand at about 5' 8.5" or so, have a 30 in. inseam and ride a 54 Trek comfortably. Lots of things can contribute to a painful saddle, probably most of which (if you're even close to the right sized frame) are fixable with the right adjustments. The pro fitter who works out of my preferred LBS offers a basic fit for around 65, and does a fantastic job: considering your flexibility, fitness goals, riding style and applying his experience BEFORE you even get onto your bike for the actual fitting. As much as you can tweak around on your own bike, you do not have as much real experience as someone who's been making people comfortable on bikes for years.

DO NOT run off and buy a new bike just yet. Think of it this way, instead of throwing a new bike at the problem, spend far less $ for a fitting and get this bike set up right. THEN, ride it for a year or so at least to ACTUALLY confirm your discipline in the sport (anyone can maintain enthusiasm for a few months) and by then you'll have more knowledge, and more appreciation for both the equipment and riding itself. Chances are decent that the only differences between your bike and the Giant you test rode were things that could be adjusted to match, or would simply require a different saddle.

I know the BF wannabe in you would love to feel obligated to spend a bunch more money on a whim, but most of us (the best of us included i.e. waterrockets) work on a long bicycle turnover rate. Learn to ride the bike you have well, and the eventual upgrade will mean so much more.

-Jeremy
haha yeah spending money on a whim is pretty easy, I'll definatly find a professional fitter somewhere around here. Hopefully that fixes things, but also could it just be that the stock saddle and the selle just both wern't meant to be?

Last edited by Nappy; 10-21-08 at 10:07 PM.