View Single Post
Old 10-22-08, 09:12 PM
umd
Banned

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac SL2, Specialized Tarmac SL, Giant TCR Composite, Specialized StumpJumper Expert HT

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by travkat
+1 for UMD's post
As some of the BF folks have mentioned it comes down to watts in the end. If you have two bikes (A and B) B being lets say 5lbs heavier. If you can push lets say 250watts for 1 hour regardless of bike. You then go ride bike A and ride for an hour then go ride bike B for an hour at the same effort (watts) the heavier bike would most likely net a slower time but in the end you would have done the same work. Your perceived effort may feel different but that is psychological.

Again, like I said before, if the "train heavy, race light" mentality really worked for cycling then every pro cyclist would be out training with extra weight.
I don't disagree with "train heavy, race light", but I wouldn't take it so far as to carry signficiant extra weight. I generally go the other way and just reduce weight for the race. E.g. no seatbag, race wheels, no keys, phone, etc... it all ads up to several pounds. Anyway, my main point is that getting a lighter/faster bike because you think that simply covering the same distance in less time means you are getting a better workout is wrong. Kinda like the idea the other day that sweating more means you are getting a better workout