Old 10-22-08, 09:54 PM
yakmurph

Bikes: [redacted]

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Dr.Deltron
This & squirls thread reminds me of a "study" I did a couple of years ago, when I had one main ride. It's an old English "10 speed", albeit with Campy & Phil components, but it has upwrong bars.

So for a few weeks, I made note of how many "competition" riders responded to my wave.
If I was riding with my hands on the grips, ie; upright, I got no responce AT ALL!

But,
If I was riding with my elbows on the grips, all leaned over, 9 out of 10 would wave back.

WTF???
I'm the same guy on the same bike. Oh well, that's on them. I still wave at all cyclists.

Guess I picked up that habbit as a kid, driving around with my older sister who drove a VW bug.
ALL VW drivers always waved at other VW drivers. (I know, it was the '60's)

But it continued when I started driving a motorcycle in '76. Motorcyclists waved at other bikes.

ahh, the good ol' days.
My little experiment took place in the early Eighties.
I rode the shop's Japanese UJMs (motorcycles) for a living, wrenched on bikes in the evenings and on weekends and commuted to those jobs on my Brit. bike.

What I did, was to make sure to wave every motorized two-wheeled vehicle that I saw.
I made a special effort to wave to every Harley rider I saw... made every effort to do that.
That was fun: especially when one of two things happened:
they either waved back with most of their fingers hidden (I imagined they were soliciting for sexual favours!)

or, they actually waved back, usually pretty enthusiastically!

People are pretty clannish....