View Single Post
Old 10-25-08, 01:41 PM
TheSodaJerk

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Busted Brand New Wheels?

Hey everyone, hope bris doesnt see this becuase I think Im a few posts shy of his arbitrary 45 posts to start a new thread or whatever.

Anyways, I just built up my first conversion. I bought some CPX-22/Formula's and a pair of Continental Ultrasports (700x23). Road around for a few days just fine then while riding one night I hit a small pothole, Im talkin 1/2-3/4" deep (max) and less than 2" across. Heard a big ping and saw my front wheel flash, stopped and I had busted a spoke. Im assuming it must have been over tensioned and as such the small deformation in the road was too much for it. It seems like a wheel should be able to handle minor surface flaws. Can anyone back me up on this hypothesis? Or does it sound like I should just avoid these situations like the plague?

I would buy the spoke and true it up myself, but its been so long since I trued a wheel I dont think I could by myself. I figured I would take it into my local LBS and have them check the rest of the spoke tension just in case any of the rest of them so this doesnt happen again. Whats this usually run people? Im assuming ~$50-$60?

Also: I busted my old tire levers fixing flats on the back, anyone know a good pair of levers for this tire/rim combo? Its a really tight fit and my old levers just couldnt hack it.

EDIT: Got the wheels on BicycleWheelWarehouse aside from this spoke problem cant really speak ill of them.