View Single Post
Old 10-27-08, 12:47 AM
StrangeWill

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Saving Hawaii
The majority of stop signs (with some exceptions) deserve to be treated as yield signs - with a cyclist slowing down upon approach of the intersection, getting visuals and seeing if they can safely make it across (with an easy margin of error so as not to freak out drivers), and then doing so. Secondarily, lights (with quite a few more exceptions) in off-hours with little or no traffic, can pretty safely be handled by stopping and making sure that traffic is clear, and then proceeding across the intersection without a light.
I feel this way in general (not just about cycling), poor traffic light systems, networked but not intelligent, late night "complete or rolling stops", mostly what bugs me the most is the lack of efficiency... of course not like "I see a car coming, but I can make it if I do a rolling stop" or "I can turn left during a red even though cars are coming the other way, I see a gap", but situations where there is no one around, or no cars coming for 1/4 mile, it's ridiculous.