Ka_Jun
Who farted?

Bikes: '06 K2 Zed 3.0, '09 Novara Buzz V

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by martytime
I'm from Phoenix, 30 yrs old, and recently took up biking. For the last 2-3 months, I've been commuting to work 2-3 days per week (25 miles RT), and I'll ride the trails a couple times per week (South Mtn and Hawes, ~8 miles each time).

I'm thinking about entering the GT McDowell Park race in Ft Hills as a beginner, but never done it before and am a little apprehensive. The race is 15.8 miles of fairly easy fast singletrack.

Any advice?

Oh, I've never ridden the track before...
Good luck! I rode my first race in beginner a few weeks ago http://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...637&highlight= , here's what a friend of mine who used to ride for UCLA said:

1) Be sure to get there plenty early before the race, so you're not rushed for reg, suiting up, figuring out the start order, or whatnot. What with pre-race jittters (natural), you'll also need time to poo/get down to race weight.

2) Have eyewear that will keep the dust out of your eyes (big problem in large race fields) and a sweatband made from a strip of old T-shirt is useful to keep sweat from streaking your glasses. I'd send you my "rising sun" headband, but that might be inciteful.

3) Don't try any new electrolytes or energy bars/gels that you've never eaten or drank before on a ride, as they might upset your stomach and do more harm than good. But, if you use things like Cytomax or Heed and they work for you, have 3 bottles made up: one for the drive to the race, to get hydrated; one for the race (unless you use a Camelbak, don't EVER put anything but water in there); and one for afterwards to recover

4) There will be a tendency for everyone to sprint off the start line, then blow up on the first climb. Pace yourself and reel those suckas in one by one on the climbs and on the descents (when they're too tired to hold a good line on the downhills).

5) If there is any way to pre-ride the course, you'll know where you can and can't do number 4 above. You can strategize good locations to pass and know when a few more seconds of standing/agressive/redlining climbing can get you to a piece of singletrack first -- where you can set the pace for the sucka trapped behind you.

6) Have a wonderful time and look up now and then during long, smooth climbs to enjoy the beauty of the view. It brightens your spirit and takes your mind off the pain of the climb.

Have fun!