Old 10-30-08, 05:11 AM
Neil_B

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Originally Posted by mikesixty4
Hello all,

I am 5'11'' and to say I am overweight would probably be an understatement. Now I have used every excuse in the book as to why I don't currently exercise and why I don't need to but I decided to buy a scale after I received an email from my father stating how concerned he was about my weight. I was completely shocked to see that I weighed 300 pounds. I decided that there are no more excuses and I need to start exercising so I started walking each morning for an hour and now lift 3 times a week.

2 months later, I now weigh 287 pounds and have been feeling great but I am quickly getting bored of walking and never really liked it to begin with. Now as a kid one of my favorite pastimes was just riding my bike. So I figure what better way to exercise then to buy a bike. I love the outdoors and nature so most likely I will eventually want to buy a mountain bike as I see that being what I will really want to do.

For now though I think the best thing for me is to buy a hybrid bike of some sort for just daily exercise. and hitting the easy gravel-dirt trails on the weekend. Have been searching the forums for the past few days and I think I might have gotten my decision down between the Giant Cypress DX or the Giant Sedona DX. I was wondering what people think about these two mikes that have either owned or rode one of them?

Also, I currently live in Owings Mills, MD and was wondering if anyone knew of a good shop that I would be able to goto that would love to help out a beginner? Also for anyone who lives in the area, Are there any really good trails in the area to ride on? I am not looking for anything advanced...I know about the NCR Trail and that will most likely be something I will start doing on the weekend but I am looking for something a little more close to where I live where I can ride in the morning.

Thanks for any help that you can give I really appreciate it and sorry for the long post.
No need to apologize. Welcome to the forum, and if you want someone to join you on the NCR trail, contact me. I've wanted to ride that trail for a long time. I'm in SE PA, 30 miles west of Philadelphia.