SoCal Commute
Uninformed Informer

Bikes: Specialized Rockhopper

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Questionable Commute

Ok, so after a few set backs on my used bike I've been back in the saddle for a little over 3 weeks now, took it easy the first week riding every other day, second week I rode 2 days with 1 day rest, and finally this last week I rode every day but today as my rest day. I average about 5-6 miles and will probably keep this pace for the next week or so.

Here's my question. My commute to work is 10 miles one way with a bunch of steep hills, like 3% for a mile followed by a slight decline and then 4% for another half mile then I believe it goes to a whopping 8% for a quarter mile. After that I get a nice rolling hill'd decent for about a mile and a half followed by uphill the rest of the way to work. My question is should I train up to the 10 mile mark around the house and on some of the local hills or just dive right in when I can maintain a steady 8 miles?

The reason I ask is because I want to start riding ASAP but don't want to kill myself in the process(still have to function at work and be able to make my night classes.)

Your advice is greatly appreciated