View Single Post
Old 11-05-08, 03:27 PM
stapfam
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Ranman
Your idea of cycling is probably a lot different than your doctor's, so don't make biking a yes/no question with him. Ask him in terms of when, how much and how hard. Good luck with the healing.
Had a bypass in 99 and when I talked to the Dr. about cycling- his one question was WHY? We agreed a gentle recovery ride routine and to be honest- that was all I could manage. It was not the heart that was the problem, although the Beta blockers did cause a problem, it was the incision. It was about 6 weeks before I started to ride with any power- and increased milage gradually but at 12 weeks I did a 40 miler with a few stiff bits in it. At 4 months I saw the Surgeon and he asked why my HR and blood pressure were near normal. When I told him about the cycling he had a fit- but then realised how much I had improved.

Get over this problem you currently have- and then start riding gently. Do PIE rides- 20 miles on flatlands to a cafe and take in the scenery- Do a couple of charity rides and take the wife with you- Or the neighbours wife if she is slower. Just don't setback the hard work that has cost you a fortune already.

Spike Milligan