Old 11-05-08, 03:34 PM
white folks
if it ain't broke, fix it

Bikes: bikes, a bunch.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
R&R bottom bracket lug on Cardiff track, and indtroducing myself.

hello all, i've been lurking around for a bit. Time is coming when I'll begin my project, removing and replacing the BB shell on an old italian track frame.I'm also doing some work on a fork I picked up to go with the ^^ mentioned frame. I still have few questions before I begin but let me begin with an introduction that may save some misunderstanding.

I'm from portland or, and have a work back ground in tool and die making, and CNC manufacturing. So I am a machinist, but not a button-puncher only. I have also worked at the local steel mill, welding drag buckets. i mention this, as i feel I have pretty good grip on metal work, what color=whattemp and so on. While i havent done fillet brazing (or lugged brazing) , I have watched others enough times to feel i can begin some test joints with some scrap frame bits. I will do this first before doing R&R on the cardiff. I feel like I have the right filler on hand as well. i have some harris safetysilv56, some harris low fuming bronze in 1/16 and harris white and black fluzes. This is what avail at the local welding supply and was recommended by a few local builders. So with that preface, on to my questions.

I am still in the dark as to what torch tip and flame cone to use for lug work, different from fillet work? I'm using my pop's tanks, guages and torch and he said a small rose bud tip for a smaller tight soft cone for fillet and the largest rose bud 3/4" with 12+ holes for the BB lug, this makes a big, soft cone with lots of noise. he's no frame builder, so i wanted to ask you guys what torch tips, and flame profiles you use and like.

My plan is to use the harris 56% silver and the harris white flux on the BB lug, and the LF bronze and the harris black flux on the fork( it needs a new steertube, and the blades attached, it was "sweated" apart by the prev owner, a local framebuilder) am I on the right track with my filler/flux choices?

The fork crown is the std "silva" flat-top, tange blades and suntour drop outs. the blades are chromed about 1/2way which will match the frame's paint with proper masking and paint and decals. the steer tube is from NOVA, prethreaded 1" 240mm single butted.

The BB lug is the everest co brand road shell from NOVA as well. the CS sockets will need some adjusting I believe, but only 1-2 deg.

thanks for any and all comments. i appreciate it.