View Single Post
Old 11-06-08, 04:27 PM
GRHebard

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
downtube thickness? (CroMo track frame)

i want to start modifying one of my track frames.
im just looking for some help for ordering my tubing for the project below

heres the scoop:
ive been cycling for maybe 2 years, and now that ive learned a little bit about frames and geometry i want to modify my beater fixed gear. i'm an engineering student, and ive been welding for about 4 years, so i know a little bit about structural integrity, ect

i want to cut out my downtube, then weld a new tube in that goes from about half way up the headtube to a few inches up the seat tube. then i will gusset the corners.
im doing this for a few reasons, 1. i want to be able to do barspins, and 2. because i like to work with metal and i take pride in my designs.
im a kid, i do tricks on a track bike. if you want to debate about it, please do it in a different thread.

heres my idea
-sorry the pictures are so crude, but they get the point across.
keep in mind i exaggerated the downtube position in the second picture to emphasize my idea. it wont be THAT high. only an inch or so higher

before:

after:

im not sure if the gussets are necessary, they wouldnt really add THAT much weight if i used 20g metal.
any advice/comments for keeping the frame stiff are appreciated
will i need to build a jig to hold the frame from warping once the downtube is out? or should it be alright? i plan on just using a demel tool, nothing crazy

my MAIN QUESTION with this is: what wall-thickness should i buy for my new downtube? i was thinking 1.25" OD

thanks,
Greg Hebard

Last edited by GRHebard; 11-06-08 at 04:35 PM.