Old 11-07-08, 02:54 PM
xenologer

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 239 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by resipsa
Don't get me wrong, I don't like them being in the door zone, but it's probably the best place. Personally, I think that they should do away with parallel-style on-street parking in areas with a lot of bikes because of this problem. Slanted parking would work much better in terms of safety (though not in terms of efficient usage of space), with no door zone and a good indication of danger: reverse lights. As a bonus, the little triangles at the ends of slanted-parking zones are a good place for motorcycle and/or bicycle parking. This, of course, assumes that the roadway is wide enough to begin with.
I dunno... the angles parking seems to have it's own problems of the driver's totally being unable to see you around the other parked cars as they leave. And from that position the only way they can even see cars oncoming is to roll the car out by a foot or two; right into where the bike lane is.
Scary having to swerve out into traffic when one does this right in front of you and you were riding just in front of a car...