View Single Post
Old 11-08-08, 02:44 PM
cjeder

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just replace your chain at 1.0

From my experience, the difference between .5 and .75 on a CC-2 is .25 worth of grease. So I would wait to replace your chain until it is actually at the 1.0 mark. If you want as many miles out of your chain before you hit that point use a non-solvent based lube and don't soak your chain in degreaser. A chain comes from the factory lubed with a very durable grease, this grease keeps the chain bearings rolling smoothly and tightly on the pins. Once this grease wears away no liquid lube will stick around long enough to keep the two parts from wearing each other down.

Rulers, by the way, are great ways to measure chain stretch, but don't work so hot to measure bearing wear. So I would keep using your CC-2, but keep an eye on what the baseline measurement is on new chains. As this tool ages, the pins can bend the slightest amount (its a good idea not to push for a 'more accurate' measurement as this will make the problem worse). You can compensate for this later by subtracting the deviance form the measurement.