Thread: Is this normal?
View Single Post
Old 11-09-08, 12:42 PM
Robert Foster
Banned.

Bikes: Lapierre CF Sensium 400. Jamis Ventura Sport. Trek 800. Giant Cypress.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by stapfam
3 rides aweek at that milage should be enough for most people. I only manage a couple of mid week rides at the most and only for around 20 miles. One is up hills and the other is taken at a slightly higher pace on the flat than I would normally ride at. Then the main ride at the weekend where I hope to get in around 40 miles+

Although I would not suggest doing "More" rides as that could put the body back to overworking again-It does sound as though you have outgrown the group you are riding with. Try that fast group for a few rides- but warn them you may be dropping off the back after a while.
Thanks Stapfam. Retro has a good suggestion because I may just need direction. I think I am over eager to reach the fitness level and ability of the better riders in my group. It has been a character flaw I may always have had. I tend to go all in with things I enjoy. I believe I may need to once again take the forums advice and give myself time before stepping up my pace. I guess I find myself wanting to be able to ride like people that have been putting in 5,000 to 6,000 miles a year without putting in the effort they have already invested.

If I can be a bit introspective for a moment I believe I made the original post not long after one of our club rides. I had a good ride and was able to stay with the lead pack for most of the ride. Till we hit two hills in a row. I dropped back a bit on the first hill and closed with the pack before the second. I decided to attack the second hill and to my surprise I closed a big on the bottom half of the hill and then I hit the wall. I managed to grind my way to the top in my lowest gear sucking air like a vacuum to make it to the top. Just as I got to the top the group passed me going the other way. I made it to the turn around point and managed to close with the trailing riders and a spoke broke. I believed I posted this question because I felt I could do better that my current fitness is allowing me. My hope is that by this time next year I am where I want to be both in technique and fitness.