Old 11-11-08, 11:43 AM
LarDasse74

Bikes: I never learned to ride a bike. It is my deepest shame.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by wrk101
I would not consider a hybrid to be a fast bike. A rigid framed mountain bike with slicks would probably be faster than a hybrid. And a road bike would be even faster. So go with N+1 (keep an eye open for another good bike cheap, and snap it up).
There is no basis for this belief. A 700C wheel hybrid bike with good hubs and 28mm wide tires will have the same rolling resistance as a touring bike with similar hubs and the same 28mm wide tires.

A mountain bike with the same hubs and 26*1-1.125 (or something tires) will probably be nearly as fast, but not quite, as the hybrid, all other things being equal. The difference, though, is probably imperceptable

A lot of people ahve this impression that hybrids are slow because we see the completely upright 35 lb models with 1" travel coil spring front suspension, and a handlebar fitted with an AM/FM radio and bar-ends pointed straight tot he heavens... and with 700 X 43 heavy treaded tires. Set up properly they are fast, efficient, lightweight bikes. Just because something is neither a full-on trailbike nor a road racer does not mean it is inferior... FREE YOUR MIND!!!!!!!!!