Thread: Bike shorts?
View Single Post
Old 11-16-08, 02:13 PM
coldfeet

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
There is a general misconception about shorts in that the chammy is usually thought of as padding, it can have some padding affect, but it's more a case of minimizing abrasion. Things to watch out for generally, minimal seams, any that exist should be flat stitched, materials should assist in sweat management, i.e. avoid thick cottony types. If your rides are short, and you have regular pants with fairly flat seams, you may not need bike shorts. In my opinion they are better in almost all riding situations. Everyone is different, and saddles also come in many different t types, they are a very personal thing. Riding style also come into it, and your fitness level, if you are a strong rider and are pushing the pedals fairly hard the whole time, you will have less of a problem with the saddle. If you sit on the bike like a sack of potatoes, your butt is gonna hurt more. The day I rode home so tired I had to take a nap on a bench, my butt was sooooo sore.

Shorts come in many grades, the $20 cheapies are better than nothing, but the ones that list up around $50-$70 are the least I would buy. I try to find clearance models for $30-$40 or bibs in the $65 range on sale. others here have spoken highly of the seriously expensive stuff, $150+ Not had a need for that, if i find one on sale may try it. And yes, snug, not tight enough to bind, but not wrinkly and flapping either.