Old 11-17-08, 08:01 PM
RickinFl
Terri's Captain

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
TandemGeek-

Returning to a comment you made earlier in this thread about CK 145 dishless wheels being stronger-

I haven't seen any of these, but I'm assuming that they make them dishless by moving the non-drive side spoke flange inboard to place it the same distance from the dropout as the flange on the drive side.

If this is the case, it seems logical that the wheel would be less strong and less stiff because the aspect ratio of the isosceles triangle formed by the spokes with the spacing between the flanges as its base is reduced. This is the same problem I've heard of with 29" wheels where the triangle is made taller without proportionally increasing its base by moving the flanges apart, thereby decreasing the aspect ratio. This is done, presumably, so that manufacturers can continue to use standard hubs, axles and so forth. In some circles, it's well known that it's easier to taco a 29" wheel than a 26" wheel due to this effect. Because of that, I always find myself wondering why folks are so excited about putting 29" wheels on off-road tandems when the possible side loads on the front wheel are even greater than on a single. But that's a side issue since my question really involve dishless rear wheels.

So- how are the CK rear hub made dishless?

Rick