Old 11-18-08, 01:43 PM
calamarichris
Banned.

Bikes: '09 Felt F55, '84 Masi Cran Criterium, (2)'86 Schwinn Pelotons, '86 Look Equippe Hinault, '09 Globe Live 3 (dogtaxi), '94 Greg Lemond, '99 GT Pulse Kinesis

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 389 Post(s)
Liked 270 Times in 153 Posts
but I also feel that it is NOT OK for others to violate a cyclists ROW. A cyclist moving at 20MPH on a road signed for 50MPH MAX is NOT violating any body's ROW... that first has to be understood.
Sorry, you lost me there. If your peloton is taking up an entire lane of a 50mph road, you deserve what you get, (I hope it's only a ticket, and not run over by some hapless motorist who was obeying the law.)

While motorcycling a couple of months ago near my home, I came across a traffic jam on a 50mph two-lane road. There was a line of cars stuck behind this wannabe Giro D'Ipstick AND SOME OF THE RIDERS WERE EVEN SPILLING INTO THE SOLE REMAINING LANE. There was naturally plenty of honking and fingers exchanged but somehow I don't think any of the car drivers were convinced of the error of their ways.

I prefer a non-confrontational approach: I pulled my carbureted motorcycle directly in front of the peloton, fully engaged the choke on my motorcycle and rode slowly ahead of them for a mile or two. The resulting fumes smell bad, are highly carcinogenic, and IMO entirely deserved.

Being in a brightly-colored, hostile little mob doesn't excuse you from road courtesy.