cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, an orange one and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2472 Post(s)
Liked 103 Times in 70 Posts
Originally Posted by uoficowboy View Post
Hey there - I currently use Shimano SH-M122B shoes with my bicycle. These were a little hot during the summer, but mostly great. Now that it's starting to get colder and colder, however, they're proving to just not offer enough insulation. Today it was just a hint above freezing, and I wore my thickest wool socks along with long johns, and still by the end of my 10 mile commute my feet were nearly numb.

Is there anything better out there?
There are several ways to go. Winter shoes are probably fine but if you have a lot of temperature variation over the day, they can end up being too hot on the way home. I feel a better way to go is neoprene booties. Get another pair of shoes for winter in a larger size then summer shoes since you want room for extra socks. Find something with a flatter tread than your current Shimano shoes because trying to get a mountain bike shoe into a bootie is difficult Touring shoes work very well.

Alternatively, some people swear by Shimano sandals. Use a wind/waterproof external sock and layer as many socks as you like under it. Remove layers as necessary.

Originally Posted by uoficowboy View Post
On a related note - any recommendations for winter bicycling bib shorts? All of mine are more for the summer so I've been layering up which works pretty well.
Try Pearl Izumi Slice Thermafleece bib tights with regular shorts underneath (fewer straps). I wear mine down to well below freezing. PI Amfibs are very nice for below freezing but don't use them if you expect the temp to go above 40F...way too hot!
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!
Days of Wineless Roads. Bed and Breakfasting along the KATY
Twisting Down the Alley. Misadventures in tornado alley.
An Good Ol' Fashion Appalachian Butt Whoopin'.