Old 11-18-08, 07:15 PM
Poguemahone
Vello Kombi, baby

Bikes: 1973 Eisentraut; 1970s Richard Sachs; 1978 Alfio Bonnano; 1967 Peugeot PX10

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Dirtdrop
You need to know what kind tubing the frame is made of. If it's Reynolds 531, the frame alone is worth at least $150 and that makes $250 for the bike a decent price. If it's 501, it's worth considerably less. If it's HLE, the frame worth $25 and the bike is worth no more than $100.

It's not Reynolds 531 because they always had chrome on the stays.

I don't think it's an '83. Those graphics came a few years later.

After you find out what kind of frame it has, then you look at the quality of the components. It's impossible to tell from your little picture.
Pretty much all on target here. However, a 531 bike from Peugeot that late would not have the half chrome stays; look at the 79/80 PX10 "Super COmpetition" for example. Fully chromed fork, painted rear stays. This one could be a 531 bike, look at the decal at the top of the fork blades. Bears looking at. The fully chrome fork is not a gaurantee of a 531 bike, however, but a possible signifier. I Don't think it's HLE.

Decal sets from Peugeot I'm a bit iffy on; a bike this late can reliably be dated via the serial number-- if it is still there, Peugeot S/ns from this period were on a piece of paper taped to the bottom bracket.

If it is an 83, I believe it would have swiss thread in the bottom bracket, in which case bid the seller down, due to replacement issues.

Waste your money! Buy my comic book!