Thread: Belt drive
View Single Post
Old 11-19-08, 08:40 AM
devilshaircut

Bikes: Mercier Kilo TT Pro, Schwinn Le Tour Conversion, Free Spirit polo beater, Cervelo P2T, aluminum tandem.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by miahmiah
Besides actual size, what about how to get it on to the bike? (Some people say fitting to mean installation.) Of course as mentioned, you cannot convert any existing bicycle from chain to belt, you MUST have the frame that has seperated chainstays, as the belts do not come apart like chains do.
From what I've read when belt drives were first being popularized, you can retrofit a bike with a belt drive ... but you have to saw a gap in your chain stay and refill after the belt has been installed.

My understanding is that advocates of belt drives say it is better not because of efficiency but more because of the low maintenance associated with them. But sawing through your frame every 3 years (the expected lifespan of a belt) and re-welding ... imo ... is WAY harder than cleaning and re-greasing a chain a few times a year, and replacing a chain takes all of 10 minutes. I've never done any welding, but I am gonna guess that takes (EDIT: typo) significantly longer.

Of course, on the Trek, the chain stays aren't welded to the seat stays, so it isn't as much of a problem. Still though, I don't see what this bike has to offer over my current bike, which cost about a third of a Trek District.

Last edited by devilshaircut; 11-19-08 at 10:05 AM.