View Single Post
Old 12-15-04, 10:29 AM
roguehippie

Bikes: Raleigh M800 MTB, Kona Major Jake Cyclocross (commuter)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mountain Pedals vs. Road Pedals

Hi All,

I've been riding my Kona commuter for some time now and love it. I threw on an old pair of Ritchey MTB pedals, and have been thinking about switching to "true" road pedals. I've noticed that the MTB pedals have essentially two sides; each side has a receiver. The road pedals all seem to have only "one" side, and are shaped much differently. . . asymmetrical.

My question: do road pedals "hang down" when you clip out of them? Since they all seem to be significantly heavier at the rear of the pedal vs. the toe, is this so that when you clip out, the toe is pointing up, making it easier to get back in? That's my one complaint about my old Ritcheys. At the numerous stop-lights, it takes a bit of effort to fit the small cleat into the small receiver while getting the pedal level, and not running in to traffic (honestly, I'm smoother at it than I sound).

I've been trying to narrow down stupid expenditures of money vs. expenditures that will make a "real" difference to my utilitarian, urban ride. So the carbon fork went out the window, and now I'm looking at pedals/shoes.

Any suggestions on good (and inexpensive) road pedals would be appreciated.