View Single Post
Old 11-20-08, 10:44 AM
NOS88

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Wildlife Days

I know that every once in a while we'll get a thread going about the wildlife we've seen on our rides. Yesterday was just so unusual that I thought I'd start another one. On a single 30 mile ride just outside of Valley Forge, Pennsylvania I saw the following: 17 whitetail deer (including a buck with eight points), an old red fox (I could tell he was getting old by the grey hair on his face), a red-tail hawk, a blue heron, and... big drum roll, please.... a large black bear that the crossed the road in front of me less than 30 yards away. He actually, stopped in the middle of the road and looked in my direction before continuing to the other side. Now keep in mind that this is a heavily populated area; the county has more people in it than the entire state of Alaska (670,000) - Montgomery County (775,000). So, one doesn't expect to see black bears wandering around. Well, in any event, I can't remember when I've seen so many creatures on such a short ride. And, wouldn't you know it, I didn't even have a cell phone camera with me.