View Single Post
Old 11-21-08, 12:29 PM
pinkrobe
DNPAIMFB

Bikes: Titus El Guapo, Misfit diSSent, Cervelo Soloist Carbon, Wabi Lightning, et al.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bike for friend with lots of money

Against my better judgement, I'm starting a thread.

My buddy is 6'4", 210 #, and currently rides a 2004 Superlight with XT and XTR. The frame/fork are beat, and he's moving towards more AM/FR riding, so he wants a replacement. He's not a shuttler [not that there's anything wrong with that], so the new bike has to climb well. Our trails are not buff - there is crap everywhere. He rides our local stuff, plus Fernie, Kicking Horse, Panorama and the occasional trip to Whistler. 6" front/rear travel should work. He is looking to improve his ability to do drops/jumps and built stunts [ladders, skinnies, etc.]. On his behalf, I'd like to explore some options for him, since he's mostly a roadie and doesn't know as much about the tech on the dirt side. He does want something somewhat unique, and is trying to stay away from the big brands [i.e. Trek, Spec., Giant, etc.].

He is currently looking at two frames in particular: Santa Cruz Nomad and Knolly Delerium. What else should he be looking at? Anything to avoid?
He's set on the Lyrik for a fork. Looking at the reviews, it's pretty solid. Would something like a Fox Van be a worthy alternative?
The brakes will probably be Hope Mono.
Wheels - Easton Havoc AM [I think he should go for a custom build]
What else, what else, what else...