Old 11-21-08, 03:56 PM
GutterNinja!
Gimp with a Limp

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Roughstuff
This of course sticks in the craw of those cyclists who think they are Gods gift to our sport---commuters, specifically inner city commuters for whom Critical Mass is their spokesman.

The more we allow cycling to be defined by its athletic contributions and accomplishments, instead of the anti-car ravings of a chosen few, the more accepted we are likely to be.
Now that you've decided to rag on commuters, I'd like to ask why the few places where cyclists are accepted on the road happen to be those few places where cycle-commuting actually exists as a significant share in the transportation network. I mean seriously, way to rag on something that actually works, is practical, and has successful increased the number of riders as well as driver acceptance. We definitely need more of the same "bike as a toy" marketing that currently exists. That way a few Lance wannabees can get even more of what they they already have, and we can continue to sell millions more bikes than people actually ride. And we'll continue to see the success story of people buying a bike for exercise, riding it twice, and then sticking it in the garage like the rest of their New Years resolutions.

I mean, seriously... is this OP actually serious? Does he actually believe that more of the same is going to produce different results?