Old 11-22-08, 09:06 PM
alfie43

Bikes: Specialized, Trek

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 3 Posts
A newbie intro

I was born on April 14, 1943. You do the math...I'd rather not.

I am a former runner who ran everyday for over 30 years. With my new titanium knee, I was looking for an alternate exercise. This past May, I bought a Specialized Crossroads Elite. This 700c x 38c hybrid will be my winter ride. My carbon-fiber Trek 7.9 FX that I just ordered will be my fair weather steed.

After a few months of cycling this past summer, I started looking ahead towards winter. As an everyday runner who ran everyday through 33 Michigan winters, I had no doubt that I could ride December though March. Over the years, I’ve learned a lot about dressing for cold weather aerobics and I already have a lot of the required gear.

I am currently riding 10-12 miles a day…every day. I try to ride hard at an 80-90 rpm cadence; strictly for fitness and only on concrete or asphalt. It’s really great to get out of the basement away from that instrument panel equipped stationary and get outside again.

At 6’ and 185 lbs, I don’t take or need supplements or vitamins. When I was in my 30s I found a much better method of nourishment: low fat, high fiber, non-processed foods, i.e., plenty of fresh fruits and vegetables. Tastes better, cost less and smells better than that “stuff” in the brown plastic jars.

I have learned a lot here on Bike Forums. Thanks to all for the help and thanks for the laughs.

Alfie
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
2008 me cycle 5 siz.jpg (102.3 KB, 75 views)
File Type: jpg
2008 me cycle 7 siz.jpg (51.2 KB, 54 views)

Last edited by alfie43; 11-23-08 at 06:30 PM.