View Single Post
Old 11-23-08, 11:37 PM
Blue Order

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by erbfarm
I'm looking for an older road bike to use on an indoor bike trainer for the winter, something that will stay down at my LBS for the next 5 months so I can use it for the spinning classes. Is it unrealistic to think I might find an old Univega, Nishiki, Schwinn, Fuji, or Shogun for $50? I'm just amazed that people on my local craig's list are asking over $100 for Le Tours (didn't they go for $260 originally?) Ross's Panasonics and such which were only $200 bikes to begin with. Is it just me or is there something out of whack about that? I can easily pick up an $800 non suspension mtn bike from the mid to late 80's with really nice components for $50 so why is it so hard to find a low end but decent steel road bike w/ so-so components for the same price?
You're not accounting for inflation. Take your average entry level bike boom bike, which sold for $100 in 1970, and sells for $100-$150 today. Adjusted for inflation, that bike would sell new for $528.50 today. Which would still be a bargain, considering what new bikes are selling for today.

Why do they sell for $100? Because if you spend any time hemming and hawing about paying $100, there's a long line of people behind you who will gladly buy it out from under you.

And why do mountain bikes sell for less? Because the market is saturated with them, and nobody wants them.