Old 12-17-04, 05:05 PM
2manybikes

Bikes: 2 many

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1266 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 169 Posts
Originally Posted by jnoble123
I had the Innovas for a year of winter commuting. By the end of the year the studs were worn down to the tire tread. Lots of dry pavement that year mixed with some trail riding.

I now have Nokian Extreme 296 tires on my Icebike. This is the fourth year and the studs are still working great. Lots of grip and no appreciable wear. Similar conditions for most of that time.

~Jamie N
www.bicycletouring101.com
Before I bought my Extreme 296's I bought some Nokian studs for another tire. I had some left over. So after three years of use I took out a couple of the 296's used studs and measured them. Compared to the new studs they were only about .003 shorter. To me that means they are not wearing out. I did notice that the drive side rear studs looked shorter on the rear tire. It was because they were pushed into the tire a little more (not much). I don't know if the tire is breaking down or not. The traction seems the same so I rotated the tires and I can't tell the difference. Have you looked at the drive side rear studs carefully?

I have a few pavement miles too. Do you?