View Single Post
Old 12-06-08, 12:49 AM
tjspiel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Hezz
Don't know what kind of a chain is on your current bike. But if you leave it outside that tells me you don't value it too much so it's most likely an older used bike. Typically these kinds of bikes had very low quality chains. They will in fact rust faster than a good chain which will cost you about 20-25 USD. There are more expensive chains but it is lightness you are buying. Not a better chain. The better chains use an alloy which has more nickel in it which improves wear and offers some corrosion resistance. However, the primary metal in highly rust resistant metals is chromium which is not likely to be used in chains since it is a brittle metal. And a chain must have good shock resistance.

Googling for a stainless steel bike chain I cannot find even one. Perhaps you can.
I didn't explain myself well. My bikes are kept inside the garage. The bike I use most of the year is now hanging from the rafters. The winter bike is on the floor occupying a slot not much wider than the bike itself.

My current winter bike is 20 years old but I do value it quite a bit which is why care whether the chain (or the rest of it) gets rusty or not. I do also spend a fair bit of time on maintenance which I'd like to reduce. As you alluded to in a previous post we already pay a time tax for cycling in winter do to the extra time it takes to get dressed, the extra maintenance, and for that matter the extra time it takes to ride.

Nine years ago I moved from the suburbs to the city in part to shorten the amount of time it takes me to get to work. In the summer it's about a 25 minute ride. In the winter it can be around 45 if you include the extra time it takes to get dressed. I didn't move to the city so I could have a 45 minute commute

So I've been looking at ways to streamline. I cut 5 minutes off my time each way by putting studded tires on my old road bike instead of riding the mountain bike I used to use. I'm always looking at different clothing options, and I'm investigating ways to reduce maintenance. To be honest I actually like working on my bike for the most part but it can be time consuming and cleaning chains falls in the PITA category. In past winters I've done thorough cleanings every few weeks.

There are stainless steal chains made by Wipperman. They're expensive and get mixed reviews.

There are also cheap KMC "Rustbuster" chains. I just bought a lot of 5 from Ebay for $15. They might suck. I'll find out.

What I was hoping for was a few people to say: "You should get x chain, they're great". Hasn't happened, so maybe daily maintenance is the only good solution for a derailleur bike. I hope not.