View Single Post
Old 12-06-08, 08:02 PM
kbpfister

Bikes: 85 Nishiki Riviera GT, 69 Schwinn Super Sport(fixed conversion), 80's Olmo Professionisti, 80's Univega Mixte

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
sorry I'm late

I do not have the original stem, however the bike did have some crappy Schwinn cruiser stem in it, so I do know that the dia. is 21.1 mm, I'm actively looking for a vintage stem to go on the bike, but haven't had any luck so I was thinking about buying a new one. I didn't ride the bike for very long before taking it apart, if I had I could have gotten a better idea of where I needed to be length wise. it's just going to be my around town bike but I thought I would try to get something that fit right. I haven't really been riding long enough to know exactly where I like my hands, just wanted to know if there was a sort of rule of thumb to calculate a suggested forward length based on my frame size and maybe my height or something. I have a stem that will fit that's on another bike, so I'll probably just pull that one off put it on this bike ride it around and see how it feels and just get a new one longer or shorter.

FYI I was planning on just using a belt sander to whittle(thanks for the SP correction) the stem down, others on the forum seemed to think it was no big deal, but I do know some metal guys that might be willing to turn it for me