genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13658 Post(s)
Liked 4,532 Times in 3,158 Posts
Originally Posted by closetbiker
Funny thing is, a helmet isn't at all like a seat belt. It was never built to withstand against, and has never been shown to protect against, anything other than superficial injuries. Most people are most afraid of collisions with cars, and seat belt are made for that, while a bicycle helmet is not.

Maybe that's why after reaching an almost 80% usage rate, 12 year after our law passed, usage rates have fallen to pre-legislation rates.

Seems more than a few people up here have had their own reasons to stop wearing helmets (or maybe those who had stopped riding because of helmet law enforcement started riding again when police stopped enforcing the law except when going after cyclists who ride like JoeyBike).
A seatbelt will no more save you in a head on collision then will a helmet save you in a direct collision with a vehicle. (that's why air bags were later invented)

Seatbelts will save you in common collisions such as the very common rear ender; just as helmets will protect your head in the very common "falling down" accident. So in effect they both protect you for the most common situations you will encounter.

But bottom line, make your own choice... I will no more tell you to wear a helmet than you can convince me not to wear one. I actually abhor all mandatory use laws, and feel that any helmet discussions are worthless... except discussions regarding better helmets.