Old 12-21-04, 12:14 PM
PALux

Bikes: Cannondale T2000, Specialized FSR Induro Comp, Specialized cross bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
s-creek-rider did not mention the type of bike. I am overweight and hard to size for any bike. When I walk in to a bike shop they want to put me on a cross bike. I have found that flat bars cause a number of hand and arm problems with me. I still ride my mountain bike in bad weather and my cross bike is my backup daily commuter but my daily ride is a Cannondale T2000. I have found the drop bars much more friendly to the hands and arms. Learn to relax the part that hurts when riding.

There are many good suggestions in this thread. If you have not been fitted have it done. Seat height, seat position, seat, stem length, stem height, crank arm length, suspension fork, a suspension seat post, tire size and on and on may contribute to or alleviate your problem.

Get a set of exercises from a doctor/physical therapist and use them. Good physical therapy may show that you are riding wrong. Exercises I learned 36 years ago for my back work just as well today. At first sign of pain I start exercising. Therapist did tell me 36 years ago to do them daily for the rest of my life but knew I wouldn’t. Said do them at the first sign of pain and it has worked for me.

I fell on ice commuting and chipped a bone in my elbow. Was put in a half cast for 30 days. 2 days no riding and I took the half cast off, put it in the sling and threw it over my back and started commuting again. I did ride easy and wear the cast when not on the bike. 26 years later and no problems.
Phil Lux