Old 12-12-08, 09:03 PM
stokell

Bikes: Custom built tourer, custom electric bike, beaters everywhere

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by soltour
I have always used a heavy duty plastic sheet. Before wrapping I do all the usual things, pedals, handlebars turned, frontwheel off and attached to frame and use pipe lagging for the journey out but not on return.....oh yes, next trip will double up with bubblewrap......have had my bike damaged once, but at least am willing to run the risk because I just ditch the plastic at the airport and buy another one on returning........as they say, whatever floats your boat
+1.
I've used boxes, taken the bike apart and put it back together, dragged boxes through airports, and then I had an epiphany! I don't have to do that. Now I take or ride my assembled bike to the airport, buy 2 plastic bags (one for the return flight), turn the bars, take off the pedals and lower the air in the tires and roll the bike into the bag. I also chock the front wheel so it won't turn.

When I get the bike back at my destination, I roll it out, set it up (only takes a minute) and ride away with the bag in the recycling bin. I've never had such stress free travel, and I've never had anything but scratches done to the bike.