Old 12-13-08, 09:57 AM
San Rensho 

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 383 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 91 Posts
Cop gives me a ticket for STOPPING at light!

All right, it was a ticket of appreciation for following the law. And its good for one empanada, woo hoo!

As I have posted before, I am a firm believer in running red lights whenever its safe. Today I was riding along on Key Biscayne, a notorious anti bike neighborhood that has some of the most expensive real estate in Miami where the overpaid cops have nothing better to do than stop cyclists for the slightest infraction because the rich people that live there don't like cyclisists riding on "their" roads.

I was talking to another cyclist, when we come up to a red light and he announces he's going to stop. Normally I wouldn't have stopped for the light, but this time I stop in order to continue the conversation. We proceed on green and notice a cop pass us.

A little up the road, the cop pulls over, gets out of his car and does the arm straight out signal for us to stop. My first though is WTF? Is this cop actually going to give me a ticket because I strayed over the bike lane line a couple of times? I'm just about to go into full @sshole mode on this cop when he announces he's giving us a ticket for stopping at the stop light. He explains that there is a police campaign to compliment good driving and hands us a certificate of appreciation good for an empanada at a local restaurant.

I have to admit that I can't remember the last time I made a fullstop for a light on Key Biscayne, and today I do it completely by chance and I get rewarded for it!

1980 3Rensho-- 1975 Raleigh Sprite 3spd
1990s Raleigh M20 MTB--2007 Windsor Hour (track)
1988 Ducati 750 F1