Old 12-15-08, 01:05 PM
Enthalpic
Killing Rabbits

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked 217 Times in 102 Posts
Originally Posted by Psimet2001
Well....I was going to actually do a "power test" today, but the thought of a 20 minute all out interval on a trainer in my basement was a bit, shall we say, not thrilling.

So, MJH2 sent over a link to an indoor TT that Vision Quest (Robbie Ventura's coaching company) was putting on today in their new facility.

First off let me say OMFG! The facility was awesome. I walked in ealy as an early group was finishing. Who's there but Ventura. Cool.

I go into the locker room - yes...locker room - and there right by the door is an autographed posted of Hampsten climbing the Gavia in the snow. Dig into the place and there is just tons of signed Lance yellow jerseys, old team Postal/Disco bikes (Hincapie, Ventura, Armstrong), as well as some Landis podium presentation yellow jerseys signed. .....in a corner....out of the way....

Anyway. It's a 1/2 hour USAC/computrainer based TT. Full competition. Long story but my Garmin wasn't charged so I had to use an ear clip pulse/ox to get HR data. It was off the charts. Caffiene I believe combined with dehydration from the Bike Forums party 2 nights before.

I hit it on the TT, I don't do great. I started well, but was over my LTHR (170) instantly and stayed in the 185-187 bpm range the whole time. I still don't know how I did because technically they are still doing it (1 group/hr).

But I did get a plot of data from them. They list these as "Personalized Training Zones Based on Indoor TT performance"

Weight: 79.5kg (f'n lying POS scale...)
HR at lactate threshold: 186 (no way in hell)
Lactate Threshold Power (LTP): 259 Watts (was this just Average power for the 1/2 hr TT? If so my powertap says 266 Watts)
Lactate Threshold Power to Weight: 3.3 w/kg

It then goes on to list my "zones" for power and HR.

So....they didn't list any of the file info for me. No max, avg, etc. Just what they have here. I don't know if they put calculated out based on a 1/2 hr to compensate for it being an hour. I don't know if their Threshold Power is FTP...etc.

What do you guys think? I have my own power file to use if needed.

FWIW, MJH2 weighs a bit more and had higher power numbers, but we were both 3.3 W/Kg. Makes sense because we seem to always be riding right with each other whether racing or just riding. We were both surprised at the 3.3. We both thought we would be lower.

Should I calculate stuff based on my numbers? If so how do I do that? It was an all out 1/2hr TT. I don't want to say I did it totally all out, but I would have been hard pressed to have done better.
It’s common to use average power from a 30min test for FTP and the average HR for the last 20min as LTHR.

How much did you pay for this test? If they didn’t do gas or blood sampling you should have just done this at home.