Old 12-19-08, 04:33 AM
UberIM

Bikes: recumbent, mtn bike, road bike

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Basil Moss
I think SS in winter is something of a misunderstanding. Lower maintenance is good, for sure, but with a freewheel you are missing the other benefits of fixed- better feel for traction, so better control, better workout since you never stop pedalling, and you have to really hone your spinning abilities for the downhills. Really benefits your pedalling style. Fixed gear in winter is an ancient road racer tradition. The old boys in my club remember taking off the gears and turning their (only) bike into fixed come winter, then putting the kit back on come the summer. Mind you deraillers were rather more expensive then, so they needed to take care of them.

In any case single speed isn't as simple- still has a freewheeling mechanism. I suspect SS is mostly ridden by people who have seen the popularity of fixed in winter, but are afraid to take the leap because everyone makes out that it's really hard/dangerous/skilled.
I resemble these remarks.

I used to ride a geared bike in winter and often during the ride it would turn into a ss in the gear ratio I didn't want.....

Now I have ss bike which I love.....

I would love to try a fixed gear bike but am afraid it would be too hard for me.......dangerous.....I am 52 and less happy to fall these days......

I will wait to spring I think and get the fg learning out of the way and then consider it for winter.

Finally, I see lots of fg bikes that are very minimally adorned-barely any fenders. anyone using a rear rack and panniers with fg? must need to gear it down? (apologies for jong terminology).