slacker00
Winter blues...

Bikes: 1997 Univega Superstrada

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by LarDasse74
I was given a set of 'dead' RSX STI levers a few years ago, and the rear worked fine, but the front did not. I tried the WD40 trick and that did not help. Much to my surprise, there was actually something wrong with them beyond hardened Shimano lube... the return spring on the top ratchet pawl was broken (or bent - I forget) and I was able to revive them by re-bending a new end on the spring with a set of tiny needlenose pliers (and about 3 hours of spare time). They have worked well ever since.

I did have to flush the rear shifter with degreaser at one point, though.
I had the exact same problem. The return spring for the downshift pawl broke on my summer bike during the last ride of the season. I found this thread last night and started tinkering an hour ago and was able to make the exact same fix. It took me an hour fidgeting with the needlenose pliers which were probably a size too big and too loose. But when I got the spring back on I tested it a dozen times and perfect shift every time. It looks ugly as hell, but I think it'll hold up. I kept bending the spring in the wrong spot with the crappy pliers, so I've got some kinks in the spring now. At least it works. *brag*