Old 12-28-08, 10:48 AM
Roody
Sophomoric Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 711 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by chipcom
I think that would be great...but how would any school system get such a controversial position to be teaching our children past the Mothers of America, the fathers who are enslaved by them and the litigators who would skewer school systems financially every time a kid got hurt riding in the street?

Indeed, cyclists cannot even agree amongst ourselves concerning the safety and/or wisdom of riding in the street.
We had this type of education already, back in the early 1960s era of conformity when I was a kid. We learned in primary school that "cyclists have the same rights and responsibilities as drivers." Even though that wasn't (and isn't) strictly true, it was an easily taught and remembered axiom. I remembered it 30 years later. When I resumed cycling, I immediately started riding in the street--even before I encountered the Advocacy and Safety forum.

BTW, we did not learn that young kids should ride in the street. We were told to follow pedestrian rules until we were older, but learned that older kids and adults had the right to use the streets. I think at that time "no riding on the sidewalk" was actually enforced for older riders.

"Think Outside the Cage"

Last edited by Roody; 12-28-08 at 10:53 AM.