View Single Post
Old 12-28-04, 10:39 AM
tairaku
Fixed in Oz.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
[QUOTE=Simple Simon]I do a similar commute to you and use either a Brompton or a Strida3.
I couldn't imagine using anything that doesn't fold as small as either of these. On the London Commute Bromptons seem to out number all the other folders by a wide margin. The Brompton folds amazingly small but even so I usually have to leave it by the door - unless there is a luggage or bike space (without people sitting in it .... yes my commute IS that tight !!)... as even the brompton is just too big to bring to the seat and wont fit in the overhead luggage space.

This is where the strida comes into its own - its light and narrow enough to put in the overhead luggage space (also £200ish which helps). As for cycling the brompton is slightly faster but only just - although the Strida is a single speed, my door to door journey time is identical as although the brommie is faster on the flat and down hill, its slower to fold, heavier and is a pain to carry along corridors.

I guess your final choice will depend on carriages used on your line, how full they are, and the luggage spaces.

Hi Simon,

Thanks for your comparison of the Brompton and the Strida. I am curious, how much do you weigh? In your opinion which bike is stronger and do you think they carry equal amount of weight without problems. Also could you comment on maintainence issues between the two? Also is the Strida small enough to carry on a plane?

Regards,

Tairaku